“Recapitulation is a recapture, remembrance, and retelling of experiences, choices, actions and relationships from the past in order to digest, neutralize and file them away without any residual emotional charge. The release is the act of letting go of any attachment to the emotional content of the past event or memory.
This includes nostalgic reminiscences of “good times” as well as reminders of traumatic or uncomfortable experiences we would rather forget. What is being recapitulated usually holds some degree of judgment or comparison, with the attachment to how we have defined it holding the memory hostage until it is released with a good deep sigh into neutral territory.”
©2023 All rights reserved. www.thepowerpath.com September 2023 Monthly Forecast by Lena Stevens. See full citation below.
When I read this passage at the beginning of the September 2003 Monthly Forecast by Lena Stevens of The Power Path it took my breath away.
I knew September was going to be an intense month as I had been following the astrology of this time. But focusing on recapitulation for an entire month? WOW.
That’s intense. It requires ruthless self-honesty and a quality of forgiveness (of self and others) that can be hard work. But, that hard work sets us free. As the month played out, I was not disappointed in the depth of reflection, releasing, neutralizing, and reclaiming power my clients and I were prompted to do.
I’ve been doing recapitulation work for decades – it started when I entered 12-step in 2001. In my opinion, The Twelve Steps are nothing if not a massive recapitulation process. It starts with developing a relationship with the Divine that flows in, through, and as us (because who could do this work without that!). It ends with learning to listen for, trust, and apply the Divine guidance (intuition) in a pragmatic way on a day-to-day basis.
Steps four through ten are where the rubber meets the road in terms of learning a recapitulation process, as far as I’m concerned. Taking a fearless moral inventory. Being ready to do the work along with the Divine to heal our wounds that lead to our missing the mark (being a shit). Making a list of all those we had harmed, speaking that list to another human. Making amends where appropriate. It’s a tall order, and it takes some people years.
But step ten – rinse and repeat EVERY SINGLE DAY – that’s the kicker. Essentially, the Twelve steps asks us to make recapitulation a part of our daily lives. It has been for me since I worked on them the first time.
OK, you probably aren’t reading this to get a primer on The Twelve Steps. So, my point.
Even when it’s a part of my daily practices, when I see this articulated as the focus of September by Lena Stevens – who, as far as I’m concerned, has NEVER misinterpreted the energy of the month – I know it’s going to be a rough one. Not in the chaotic way some periods of time can be. But in the “I gotta get honest with myself about who and what is important to me and set myself straight or shit’s gonna get real in a not so good way”.
So, that’s what I did last month. And that’s what most of my clients did, too.
Together, we looked at deep-seated beliefs, fears, and behaviors, sometimes from infancy, that were organically arising due to the situations of our lives signaling they were ready to release. We stormed, cried, had honest conversations with ourselves and each other. We used energy healing and flower essences, and then watched as the dust cleared and the gifts emerged.
At that point, we stood in neutral territory – not triggered by nor over the moon high about the situation. Simply acknowledging it had happened and free of the meaning making, reactivity, and expectation.
The clarity that emerged from this neutral space was profound even if the demonstration and declarations were quiet. A few examples from my life:
- Jacob and I had a fantastic visit with my sister, brother-in-law, father and my second-mother (his wife of many years).
- I spent 4 days soaking in the sisterhood of the women I developed lifelong relationships with at Unity of Albuquerque. The icing on the cake was when we went to a Duke City Story Slam. There, I spontaneously spoke my story of Taking Flight to their abundantly enthusiastic applause!
- Putting my needs for adventure and trust in the Divine in the equation of every single decision we make in our marriage – no exceptions. No more placating my husband’s fear of risk and need to control and plan by giving away my power.
- Bringing my business back to its roots – the 2004 car accident that cracked open the psychic and energy healing capacities. I’m claiming the master healer capacities I have cultivated through individual and group intuitive readings and energy healing since.
- This includes launching a new website for my Healing for Pets and Their People. This work helps end suffering for pets with anxiety, chronic illness, and those ready to move through the dying process.
Obviously, I can’t share the things my clients grappled with to set themselves free. But, I can say each and every one of them completed release processes they had been working on for months, sometimes years. And I am so proud of them!
So here we are in October – the Libra season of balance.
Also a month of two eclipses affecting Venusian themes like long term, committed relationships, beauty, deep self-care and self-honesty.
A month, according to Lena at The Power Path, whose theme is to “Be Ruthless” (with oneself) in finding the middle way. Letting go of what is no longer necessary, and creating a life filled with balance and the activities that nourish you (also Venusian). She suggests it will be a “deeply creative time” and may “bring some relationship breakthroughs, which I am already experiencing as I write this on October 3rd.
As you step fully into this month, allow yourself to reflect on the memories and wounds you recapitulated last month and create from that neutrality.
Allow the Divine to guide you in creating a month (and life) that deeply serves you.
And if you’re still in the recapitulation process, keep going. There’s help if you need it. Freedom can often be found on the other side of depression, pain, confusion, and fear.
1. ©2023 All rights reserved. www.thepowerpath.com September 2023 Monthly Forecast by Lena Stevens. You may make copies of this writing and distribute it in any media you wish, so long as you do not charge for it or alter it in any way. You must credit the author and include this entire copyright notice. While the text may be shared, no audio files, including lectures, music and/or sound meditations, may be posted on any site for any reason without written permission from the Power Path.